As we wake up early, go to work, pick up the kids, and continue with our busy lifestyles, most of us have little time to think about giving back to the community. Yet, giving back is on of the easiest and most rewarding things you can do to better the world. You don’t need to have a lot of extra time or money to make a difference, just doing small things throughout the year can improve your community and the environment!
Here are 5 simple ways to give back in your daily life:
1. Pick Up Litter: As you go about your busy schedule, take some time to properly throw away any trash you see lying on the street and other inappropriate places. It may not seem like much, but know that mother earth thanks you!
Want to know other ways you can help the environment? Check out our blog on Helping in a Green Way.
2. Volunteer: You don’t need to have a lot of extra time to volunteer and change someone’s life. Just giving 20-30 minutes of your time each week to helping local charities and shelters will make a huge impact in your community.
3. Adopt or Foster a Pet: Forty to fifty dogs and cats are euthanized each day at your local animal shelter because of overcrowding. If you are planning on getting a new dog, please adopt and give these animals another chance at life! You can also foster a pet, which lowers overcrowding at shelters and gives these furry babies a more normal life until they get adopted.
4. Recycle: Recycling is one of the easiest ways to go green and help the environment. It helps conserve raw materials, reduces the amount of materials going to landfills, and lessens pollution. Just as you brush your teeth each day, make sure to make recycling a part of your everyday routine.
For more information on recycling and to find recycling centers near you, click here.
5. Donate: Almost everyone has unused stuff lying around the house that they don’t really need. You can make these things actually help someone in need by donating them!
If you’re in the Chicago or Dallas area, you can use Zealous Good to match you with several local organizations that are actually looking for that specific item and will therefore profit the most from it. If you don’t live in Chicago or Dallas, you can search online for local charities and organizations that could also value your donation.
“We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give.” – Winston Churchill