This is a guest post from professional urban organizers Mission 2 Organize. This post is part of our Spring Cleaning with Zeal campaign. Check back next Friday for more ways on how to actively spring clean via cleaning and organizing pro Less Is More.
For some of us, Spring Cleaning is more theory than action. When spring comes around, you know you should do it, but where do you start? The following 6 tips can be used throughout your home. Think about using these concepts to de-clutter and organize your closets, your cabinets, or any room of the house.
- Donate – Designate a big, empty box for donations. Fill it up with things you have outgrown, items that are damaged, and things you just don’t really like anymore. There are many worthy charities that can put your unwanted items to good use!
- Use Containers – Go out and get yourself some sturdy boxes, bins, and baskets. Clear plastic boxes are a great option because you don’t even have to open the box to know what is inside! Each individual container should contain similar items.
- Label – Clearly label shelves, boxes, and bins so everyone knows where things belong going forward. Use a label maker or pre-cut adhesive labels and a marker. This step makes STAYING organized so much easier.
- Utilize Vertical Space – Take advantage of all of your vertical space by stacking boxes and adding shelves. Store items you only use infrequently up high.
- Use Wall Space – Add hooks and shelves to your walls. By doing this, you may not even need some of your old bulky furniture. The options here are endless, so think about the items you have and use a solution that makes sense.
- Use Back of Door – If you are able, utilize the space on the back of your doors. There are so many great tools out there that help you make the most of this precious space. Get creative and use hanging shoe pockets for your accessories or tools!
Once you have cleared the clutter, the tasks of dusting, sweeping, and vacuuming become much more manageable. At this point, you could even hire a professional cleaning service to do the rest! If the idea of using these steps seems overwhelming to you, Mission 2 Organize can spring into action in YOUR home. You get the expertise of a team of TWO professional organizers for the price of one!
The Urban Organizers at Mission 2 Organize are in their third year of helping busy professionals in and outside of the Chicagoland area. Their expertise lies in hospitality, event planning, travel planning, and concierge services. This unique business offers a wide array of organizing and concierge services. To learn more about what M2O can do for you, visit the official website.
As proud members of NAPO (National Association of Professional Organizers), M2O is continuously learning new and innovative techniques in organizing. The ultimate goal of this team is to streamline your life so you have more time to do the things that you love.