This is part of our charitable “How To” series. Today we are talking about cell phone donation. Check back for more charity, donor related instruction!
1. Cancel service on the phone: Since you are donating the phone only, make sure that you won’t be paying for the monthly service anymore. If you are replacing your phone then this will automatically be done for you by your service provider.
2. Spruce up your old phone: Make sure your phone doesn’t have any personal information such as contacts, passwords or payment information. Even if you have a collection of music that is very good it would be a good idea to just clear the phone of everything so the next person that uses it will have a fresh start. You can see step-by-step instructions on how to clear your phone data here. Also make sure that you have all of the necessary phone equipment such as the battery and the charger.
3. Find your item’s home: There are a few Chicago charities on Zealous Good that have a need for cell phones. These include Apna Ghar, Cabrini Connections, Chicago International Social Change Film Festival, Common Roots Initiative, Family Focus, Lakeside Community Committee, Project Education Plus, Supplies for Dreams, and Year Up-Chicago. Once you have submitted your cell phone donation one or more of these charities will request it and you can choose which one receives the in-kind donation.
4. Schedule Delivery: Now that you have chosen a charity for your cell phone donation, you can schedule the donation drop off or pick up directly with the charity.
5. Feel good: You’ve donated an old cell phone to a local Chicago charity that will make good use out of it. You can feel good that you have given the gift of communication. Now you can tell all your friends about their phone’s potential for good and how easy it is to give in-kind donations through Zealous Good.