This is part of our charitable “How To“ series. Today we are talking about how to donate laptops. Check back for more charity, donor related instruction!
1. Make sure the laptop works and transfer files to the new laptop. Check to see if it can still run programs and connect to the internet. If the laptop doesn’t work or is very old, and wouldn’t be able to be used effectively by a charity, then you can always recycle it at a nearby electronics store that will properly recycle it.
Before donating a laptop, transfer any important files or programs from the old laptop to your current laptop. These can include work files, school assignments, music, and software. There are a few different ways to transfer files from the old laptop to the current one, so pick the one that works best.
2. Wipe the hard drive clean. Before donating your old laptop make sure that all the data has been permanently erased and is no longer accessible. You can easily download a program that will erase your hard drive and make sure that no data is accessible.
3. Find your item’s home. Laptops are one of the most requested donations for Zealous Good charities. There are over 100 organizations that are in need of computers and laptops. You can easily donate a laptop by submitting it and receiving requests directly from the charities. A few of the charities that could benefit from a donated laptop include FreeGeek Chicago, Caring Connections for Seniors and Congo Square Theatre Company.
4. Schedule Delivery. Now that you have chosen an organization for your laptop donation, you can schedule the donation drop off or pick up directly with the organization.
5. Feel good. You have just donated your old laptop to an organization in need! It will help them get work done and be more efficient. Now you can tell everyone how they can do good by donating their old laptop computers!