This is part of our charitable “How To“ series. Today we are talking about how to donate office supplies. Check back for more charity, donor related instruction!
1. Figure out what office supplies you have to donate: Office supplies can range from large items like filing cabinets or computer chairs to small items like copy paper. The list is varied and includes pencils, pens, notebooks, printers, envelopes, scanners, white boards and markers, cork boards, surge protectors, or any item that can support a work environment.
2. Prepare your office supplies for donation: When donating an electronic office supply such as a printer, plug it in and confirm that it still works. Test for ink levels by printing a piece of paper. If your cartridge is empty, remove it and recycle it. Pet Smart, Office Depot and Staples all recycle printer cartridges and will give you a coupon in return. If you’re donating a printer, consider buying a package of computer paper to send along with the donation.
Other office supplies, such as pencils and envelopes will most likely need to be bought new. Be on the lookout for coupons and sales from stores like Office Max, Target, and CVS.
3. Find your food item’s home: Begin your search by creating a profile on Zealous Good and writing a brief description of your office supply. Then we’ll do the heavy lifting. We’ll find out what charities need your office supply and email you your options. You can research the charities we send you by clicking on their Zealous Good charity page and exploring their home site.
4. Schedule delivery: At Zealous Good we provide you with the contact information and tools to schedule the donation drop off or pick up directly with the charity. You’re almost there! Don’t give up!
5. Feel good: You’ve found or bought office supplies to donate, chose a loving home, and got it where it needs to be. It’s not everyday you make a difference in someone’s life. And don’t stop here! Now that you’ve got the tools there’s nothing to stop you from regularly donating and doing good!