This is part of our charitable “How To“ series. Today we are talking about how to donate toys for kids. Check back for more charity, donor related instruction!
1. Decide what toys you want to donate: Decide if you are going to buy new toys to donate or if you want to donate gently used toys. Many organizations only accept brand new and unopened toys, as they would not want to receive toys that could be missing parts or ones that may have been recalled. If you plan to donate new toys for kids, then find toys that are popular with kids, have high reviews and are age appropriate.
If you are donating used toys then look for old toys that are in good condition and aren’t used by your kids anymore. You can even get your children involved in the selection process and show them how their older toys can help other kids that don’t have any. This can be a great way to introduce your children to the act of giving and how they can make a difference by sharing.
2. Prepare your toys to be donated: If you are donating new toys, you can leave them unwrapped and unopened in the original packaging. Organizations prefer toys to be unwrapped as it makes it easier for them to sort through and to determine who will receive them.
If donating gently used toys, make sure they are clean and include all the necessary parts and accessories. Also make sure that none of the toys have had any product recalls. You can check to see which toys have had product recalls by viewing this list or by searching here.
3. Find your item’s home: There are quite a few Zealous Good charities that can benefit from receiving toy donations. You can easily submit your donation and receive requests directly from charities that are in need. Charities that could benefit from toy donations include New Moms, Easter Seals, Concordia Place and Celebrate Differences.
Other places that need you to donate toys for kids, include hospitals, shelters, social services, churches, daycares, schools and also Toys for Tots.
4. Schedule Delivery: Now that you have chosen an organization for your toy donation, you can schedule the donation drop off or pick up directly with the organization.
5. Feel good: You have just donated toys for kids in need! They will now have something to play with and can have more fun! You can tell other parents and friends how they can do good and easily donate toys for kids to local charities.