9. The second annual World Give Day takes place on May 4th which is coming up soon!
8. It is similar to Thanksgiving but without the food hangover.
7. It was started by GiveForward and I have a friend/founder crush on both Desiree and Ethan (don’t worry, my fiancé is cool with it).
6. I am fortunate to witness amazing givers daily through Zealous Good. Thank you for donating your goods and services. This day is for you!
5. This year it falls on a Wednesday and I believe there should be more midweek celebrations.
4. Last year there was a World Give Day Hug Fest. Ummm… can you say amazing? GiveForward, are you guys charging this year for hugs or are they still free?
3. It celebrates how small scale donors are the backbone of philanthropy. And they are! Small scale donors create the movement that is philanthropy. I see the result of small scale donors in this fashion: It is everyone who wants to make a difference collectively giving together and creating significant impact. You rock! Especially together!
2. It has its own Twitter hashtag – #giveday – very on trend. As Charlie Sheen would say #WINNING.
1. It is a day to celebrate the power of giving! Give an in-kind donation (through Zealous Good perhaps?), give a monetary donation (may we recommend GiveForward?), give a smile (I think you can do this one on your own). Just give and celebrate it!
This post is part of a blog series inspired by World Give Day and hosted by GiveForward. To find other posts in this series please visit www.worldgiveday.com or follow the hashtag #giveday.
Brittany Martin Graunke is the founder of Zealous Good, an in-kind donations marketplace in Chicago. You can find Brittany on Google+ or on Twitter at @ZealousBrittany. You can find Zealous Good on Facebook and Zealous Good on Twitter at @ZealousGood.