The new iPhone 5 has slimmer dimentions, a larger screen, an improved camera and more. In fact, we’ve even heard that it rescues cats from tall trees and helps the elderly cross the street (okay, we’re kidding on that one). Joking aside, the new phone is pretty impressive. Are you upgrading?
If so, what are you planning to do with your old phone? We’re here to suggest you donate it to a person who could really benefit from it such as a low income student headed off to college or a homebound senior. There are tons of ways your old cell phone can do some good in the world while you enjoy your new iPhone 5!
Here are 5 simple steps to how to donate your old phone:
- Back up all data that you have on your phone. Hook it up to your computer and sync all the various data types to your iTunes.
- Cancel or transfer service to ensure you aren’t still paying for service on the phone you’re donating.
- Reset your phone to erase all data. It’s simple to do this. First, go to Settings, then Genral. From there click Reset and then “Erase All Content and Settings”. Poof – your data is cleared and your information is gone!
- Find out who can benefit from your old cell phone. Submit it as a donation on ZealousGood.com to see who needs it or call your favorite organization to see if they could put it to good use.
- Feel pretty awesome about yourself and continue playing around with your new iPhone 5.
That’s it – easy as pie.
Brittany Martin Graunke is the founder of Zealous Good, an in-kind donations marketplace in Chicago. You can find Brittany on Google+ or on Twitter at @ZealousBrittany. You can find Zealous Good on Facebook and Zealous Good on Twitter at @ZealousGood.