This is the first post in our charitable “How To” series. Today we are talking about how to be a successful first time donor. Check back for more charity, donor related instruction!
1. Figure out what items you have to donate: As a first time donor it is important to keep an open mind. Do not get discouraged. As long as your items are in working condition and not moth eaten, there is a charity out there for you. Your older model microwave and college field hockey stick will understand their departure because remember, all items just want to feel needed. See: The Brave Little Toaster.
If you think you don’t have anything to donate, start cleaning. If after a thorough sweep of your home you still have found nothing go to Plan B: Donate your time! Volunteer! You can choose from one of our many wonderful charities or search the database at VolunteerMatch for opportunities across the country.
2. Spruce up your donation item: Charities are well acquainted with the term “gently used.” However there’s no reason why you can’t make your item the best it can be. Prior to donation clothes should be washed and neatly folded, appliances scrubbed down and sprayed with disinfectant, and the expiration date checked on canned goods. Give your donation a fresh start as it embarks on its path to good.
3. Find your item’s home: Whether you have a sentimental attachment to it or not, you should choose a charity that will put your item to use. Begin your search by creating a profile on Zealous Good and writing a brief description of your item. Then we’ll do the heavy lifting. We’ll find out what charities need your item(s) and email you your options. You can research the charities we send you by clicking on their Zealous Good charity page and exploring their home site.
All Zealous Good charities are 501(c)3 status nonprofits meaning they are registered and legal nonprofit organizations i.e. your item will go towards the cause listed. If you are searching for charities outside of Zealous Good, Give Well is a great resource for finding reputable, under-funded charities.
4. Schedule delivery: At Zealous Good we provide you with the contact information and tools to schedule the donation drop off or pick up directly with the charity. If you’re looking outside of Zealous Good make you sure you choose a charity whose delivery method works with your schedule. You’re almost there! Don’t give up!
5. Feel good: You’ve found an item to donate, cleaned it up, gave it a loving home, and got it where it needs to be. It’s not everyday you make a difference in someone’s life. And don’t stop here! Now that you’ve got the tools there’s nothing to stop you from regularly donating and doing good!